Don’t know much about the Brazilian blowout? No problem, you will after you read this article.
Like the name implies, a Brazilian blowout is nothing more than a smoothing treatment. Smoothing treatments utilize bonding technologies to improve the overall condition of your hair. How does this work? Quite simply, the customizable smoothing treatment creates a protective protein layer around your hair shaft. It is this process enables you to have smooth cuticle, frizz-free hair that has a silky shine.
The technique originated in Brazil and is now used by professional hair stylists worldwide. It becomes the most effective and groundbreaking smoothing treatment in the world.
Advantages of Brazilian Blowout
- It’s customizable and improves the condition of your hair cuticle.
- There will be no more down time because once you leave the salon you can wash your hair, put your hair in an updo, exercise…it is up to you.
- The brazilian blowout suits all types of hair including coarse, straight, curly, kinky and frizzy.
- You never have to worry about a curl pattern change. As a matter of fact, in about 13 weeks your hair returns to its original curl pattern.
- The Brazilian blow out is performed at a salon by trained professionals in about ninety minutes.
How Does Brazilian Blowout Work?
First and foremost, do not try this at home. You will want a stylist educated in doing Brazilian blowouts to perform your treatment. You can either watch the video above by Forevermakeba or follow the steps below.
- You will first get your hair shampooed with a Brazilian Blowout Anti-Residue Professional Shampoo. This shampoo helps clarify your hair. The last thing you want is product buildup on your hair shaft.
- Next, your stylist will apply the Brazilian Blowout Smoothing Treatment to your hair. If you have ever had your hair colored by a Colorist, you can expect the same process where they divide your hair into sections then apply the treatment.
- Once your hair has been completely coated with the product, your stylist will comb your hair to make sure it has been evenly distributed.
- Next, she will blow dry your hair as straight as humanly possible. The heat will help to infuse the smoothing treatment.
- After the blow dry, comes the flat ironing. Only one small section at a time will be done, so that you get the best results. This is the secret to the whole process. You must use the flat iron to seal in the treatment into your hair shaft. It is this sealing process that creates the straight, frizz free shine everyone is after.
- Now that your hair looks fabulous, it is time to rinse your hair with water. To further seal in your Brazilian blowout, a mask is applied.
- You are now ready for your final blowout. Nothing more than a blow dryer and a brush will give you beautiful, super smooth, frizz-free results unlike any relaxer.
How much is it? The Brazalian blowout cost or price is from $300-$500. The price depends on how long your hair is and the caliber of salon you visit.
Controversy Surrounding The Brazilian Blowout
Aside from many benefits of the Brazilian blowout, some people have heard about some of the scary side effects from this technique. There are cases when customers became uncomfortable while the blowout was being done because of the smell.
Later, some health institutions found harmful ingredients in the chemical mix. The one most talked about in the media is called formaldehyde. It is difficult to decide whether the treatment contains this compound or not. The manufacturers don’t provide a proper list of ingredients on their product.
Thus, it triggers a debate in the terms of the ingredients used in products.
Formaldehyde is something that people use to embalm corpses. It causes cancers when inhaled over time. Most beauty products today include this ingredient as a preservative.
The Brazilian blowout chemical makeup includes this ingredient. It makes up about 10% of the compound. Experts have done some tests after getting reports of hair loss, burning eyes, and breathing difficulties. Yet, some people argue formaldehyde is a fume. Meaning that it is a gas; therefore, not a component of the product.
Sounds like semantics to me. If people are experiencing real issues, now is not the time to play word games. It is time to find a solution. Profits should take a back burner if someone’s health is concerned.
Some manufacturers of smoothing products even said that they didn’t use formaldehyde in their chemical compounds. They use methylene glycol instead. They have claimed that their product is formaldehyde-free.
So, what is the real deal with those claims?
Initially, the company used improper labeling of their active ingredient formaldehyde. Once the FDA got them straight on that, the newer formulation comes with safety ventilation instructions along with a certification course option for stylists.
However, most top salons, especially in Canada, no longer use it because it is illegal. Instead, they use new hair straightening formulations without the health risks. I agree, nothing will straighten your hair quite like formaldehyde, but you have to weight the risks and determine if you are willing to risk your health.
An alternative is Cezanne. It is a formaldehyde-free salon smoothing treatment. The main ingredient is sodium sulphite. It is safe and gentle in the way that it changes hair structure without causing damage. Cezanne works like a keratin treatment, softening your curls and smoothing texture.
Is A Keratin Treatment Any Better?
Women can choose either a Brazilian blowout or keratin treatment. Both of them remove curls while straightening your hair. Yet, the first one is more popular as it gives a better result. Keratin treatment is almost the same as the Brazilian blowout with just a few subtle differences as we will talk about.
A ‘kеrаtіn hаіr treatment’ іѕ tурісаllу referring tо a popular straightening procedure іn which frizzy оr сurlу hаіr іѕ ѕtrаіghtеnеd аnd smoothed out thrоugh a chemical сосktаіl that іnсludes kеrаtіn рrоtеіn. Mаnу wоmеn whо hаvе had thе keratin hаіr treatment аrе amazed at thе results: ѕlееk, ѕmооth and mаnаgеаblе hair. It can seem to be ѕоmеthіng оf a mіrасlе аftеr уеаrѕ of trуіng to tаmе unrulу hаіr.
But оthеrѕ hаvе found thаt thе rіѕk is nоt wоrth thе rеѕultѕ.
The сhеmісаlѕ uѕеd іn thе treatment аrе еxtrеmеlу harsh and аrе knоwn to cause respiratory illness аnd еvеn саnсеr іn реорlе whо іnhаlе thе fumеѕ. The ѕtуlіѕt аnd thе сlіеnt ѕhоuld bоth wеаr рrоtесtіvе mаѕkѕ аnd perform the trеаtmеnt іn a wеll-vеntіlаtеd rооm, but these mеаѕurеѕ аrе nоt taken аѕ often as they ѕhоuld bе.
According to Center 4 Research, “Formaldehyde is a colorless, strong-smelling gas that causes health problems when inhaled, sprayed into the eyes, or absorbed through the skin. It can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat, cause coughing and wheezing, and trigger a severe allergic reaction of the skin, eyes, and respiratory tract. Repeated exposure at high levels can also cause cancer. Formaldehyde is released at more highly concentrated levels when heated, so stylists that perform keratin treatments and customers that repeatedly get them are at a greatest risk for these health problems.”
While іt саn’t straighten, it dоеѕ аn amazing job оf hеаlіng dаmаgеd hair. Keratin hаіr trеаtmеntѕ tаkе аdvаntаgе оf this рrореrtу bу еxроѕіng уоur hаіr tо extremely damaging chemicals аnd thеn rеlуіng оn the keratin to repair thе breakage and ѕtrеngthеn thе hаіr. It is thеѕе сhеmісаlѕ, nоt kеrаtіn, thаt аrе the саuѕe оf thе controversy ѕurrоundіng kеrаtіn hаіr treatments.
The Long-Term Effects Of A Brazilian
Although a Brazilian blowout gives you amazing results – smoother and straighter hair – you would still be wise to think about the risks and rewards involved. According to the FDA and other medical experts, the chemicals used can result in breathing troubles, skin irritations, nervous system disorders and you run the risk of cancer.
You can check out some Brazilian product reviews at Sally’s here.
If you decide to move forward and get a Brazilian blowout, prep yourself first. Make sure that your hair stylist is using the right shampoo, conditioner and styling products for your blowout.